Monday, May 13, 2013

Friday Night Open Mat

So on Friday night we did an open mat practice. Typically Friday night is a busy class but there were only three of us at first anyway. So we decided to just have a whole class of line work.

This made for a great class. Although I would have preferred to do some of the techniques a different way at times, I followed along for the most part. There were a couple of times where I would do a couple of different versions. It's not like I'm ignoring the teacher. Anyway.... we kept up a very good pace.

Later on someone else came in late just as the other two guys wanted to quit. So I stayed on the mat to work with him. He wasn't interested in a fast pace class. Instead I had us focus on kazushi. This was the only time I had him alone on a mat outside of a normal class. I didn't want to waste the opportunity. Normally during a class I won't try and teach. Once in a while I'll give feedback but it should be obvious to anyone who really is examining their aikido (most of the time) whether something is working.

This guy always seems to just stop short of having a lot of techniques work. So I made it a point to give feedback. Showed how one position or another leads uke forward or backward with the same control/contact. And... to pay attention to uke's position.

He said he think he actually learned something. What he learned I don't know but I'm going to get on his case more to get kazushi. Previously, I thought he was aware he was stopping short or a technique. After that practice it's become apparent to me that he was thinking that his aikido was working all the time as is. So, I'll be on him more in practice. As I'm sure others will continue to be on me for anything I'm missing as well. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home