Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Past Few Fridays

The past couple Friday nights, Bob was teaching at Shodokan. He had us working on our freestyle/randori. Overall he wanted to see more movement and fluidity out of people. He stressed getting into the best positions possible and trying to get your uke's lined up if possible so you can deal with them in a row.

Overall for these classes I felt I was doing ok. On most days I move to good positions which can be challenging at times on a narrow mat. The last class however I felt a bit stuck. We spent the whole class with a 2 handed grab as an attack and then used that for freestyle practice. I had 3 or 4 uke's, most of which were really latching on with resistance. Whenever one of them really grabbed me I had no issue doing a technique, however because they truly had me in a tight grip, I felt stuck.

Since this class I had some time to think about it and I even mentioned it to another teacher that I practice with frequently on Monday nights. I really need to focus on starting the technique the instant uke goes for the grab. I could start moving with a lead before he grabs, or not even let uke get a good grab by deflecting it or doing something else. I'll have to give that a shot. However, letting uke get a grab and settle in before I do anything probably isn't the best way to go, especially for a freestyle.

2 Comments:

At February 22, 2014 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading your comments about " really latching on with resistance" and was thinking the same thing that you later mentioned. Gee those "Monday night" guys are good, huh?
Jim.

 
At February 22, 2014 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was reading your comments about "really latching on with resistance" and was thinking the same thing that you later mentioned.
Gee those "Monday night" guys at North Shore Aikikai are good, huh?
Jim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home