Sunday, May 18, 2014

Whisper Quiet Fall

Peter is away for a few weeks so we have been practicing on our own.  Chris has chosen to take the lead in the classes.  Today he suggested we work on 1st kyu stuff for which I was grateful.  Five different attacks with different responses.  We started with katemenuchi.  We don't do this attack much in class so I needed some practice.  We did yokomen, shomenuchi, moretetori, ryotetori attacks.  A,, of those were pretty fine.  Then we did some koshinage.  Had some trouble not doing my favorites.


The best part of the class was when Tony did aiki-otoshi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRKp1SDQS_w

He did about three or four of them in class.  It got to the point where I was looking for it.  Each time I tried to modify my ukemi.  The last one was awesome.  I got my hand down so early that I was near silent when I took the fall.

This is something I've been thinking about trying.  One of the people I follow blog wise has mentioned soft breakfalls.  I never got a full description of how to do it but I know one of the key points is to get your hand down early.  I managed a really nice one today.

After class, someone asked me about it because they saw me take a fall and wondered how I landed so softly.  Wonder if I can do that on a consistent basis now that I've felt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home