Monday, June 02, 2014

Another Almost Night

There are some Friday nights in the summer that the Friday night class isn't well attended.  My attitude is always that if even there is one person around I will get on the mat and either take a class or use the free mat time if the instructor isn't teaching that night.

We have one or two students who look to run out if there isn't going to be an official class.  The crazy thing is that they are a couple of 1st kyus.

I was hung up and couldn't make it in.  Most of the time when this happens I try to call but I didn't this time.  I got to the dojo pretty late and class wasn't running.  My arrival forced the issue and we ended up having a class.

I really don't understand the attitude.  It's not like you are a dan with years of experience and need a night off.  Why is it you'd blow off a class as often as possible?  This isn't an isolated event.  This one guy bails as often as possible.

I don't get it.

2 Comments:

At June 02, 2014 4:11 PM, Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

I don't either.

Right now, I long for a home for our dojo where we can chill before/after class. I think we have to get a home of our own, instead of using space owned by someone else, before we can do that.

Since we're using someone else's building, if no students show up on time, we leave, so the owner can leave. If my Sensei could take ukemi, the story would be different.

 
At June 03, 2014 9:05 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

The other dojo I attend has that problem to some extent. They practice at the YMCA. Good part is the permanent mat area is downright huge and it's a sprung floor. The bad end is that you have to keep their hours and the gymnastics program has priority.

Once in a while when a big event is coming we get kicked out to a different room that has no mats. So we practice controls, kazushi and oddly enough rolls and falls on the harder surface.

Other times it stinks because there is no opportunity to come early or late to work on anything. It's more difficult when you don't have your own space.

Heck, my first dojo, we had to lay mats down and pick them up for every class. The kamiza was movable and everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home