Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Two Throws and He's Out of There

I recently had a class with one of our Shodan.  Towards the end of class Peter(the instructor) likes to do a little koshinage.  This was a garuma version.  With my other partner (we were a threesome that day not including Peter) I did a normal one.  With our Shodan I decided to try the version where you pull your foot back.  Uke tends drop straight down.  It's a tougher ukemi but he should be able to handle it.  The only time I can practice it is with more experienced people.

Not too unexpectedly, he begged off after a couple of throws.  Although he has tons of experience, he's not too confident in his ukemi.  He's generally ok but he typically will not move enough.  So at times, he takes ukemi harder than he needs to.  He doesn't seem to be interested in changing this either.  The whole thought of Shoshin(Beginner's mind) is lost on him.

This isn't 100% terrible.  At least he gets to practice.  Still there is more to it than showing up.  I have pretty good ukemi and I am currently focused on trying to make it better.  I've been experimenting for a while now.  I haven't been too successful in changing it but at least I'm mindful of it during practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home