Sunday, August 10, 2014

Where did the j-step go?

Over the past few classes over at shodokan I've been internally cringing.  They like to do a sumiotoshi variation that starts with a an iriminage tenkan entry.  Tsuki attack.  They do a tenkan step back as they are pulling uke around and then step in.

I don't know exactly when it happened but now the entire dojo practices this variation this way.  The problem is that you are too far away after uke comes around.  What they used to teach was to j step after the tenkan.  You stay close to uke and it flows better.

I was doing this one Sunday morning when Chris commented to me that the class I missed earlier in the week, Bob mentioned that you can have a dead spot when doing sumiotoshi.  I'm not sure what he taught to eliminate the dead spot.  Chris said that he didn't feel a dead spot with me.  This is because I j-stepped and re-entered after uke comes around.  He didn't seem to notice why I didn't have the dead spot.  He and everyone else at that dojo do that k step I hate so much.  I don't like to teach in class as a student.  It can be considered rude by some instructors.  There are some things though that I can't resist.

This is going to be one of them.  I'm sick of the whole dojo doing k steps by accident.  If you want to do this on purpose that's one thing but this is something happening on an unconscious level.  Maybe the best thing is for me to grab a couple of the senior students after class and ask them if they realize they are doing this.  If it's intentional then fine but I doubt this is the case.  Although it's been my experience that even if I do this it will only last about a month at most before people just let muscle memory do it's thing and go back to k steps.  The teachers at the dojo would need to reinforce it regularly.


1 Comments:

At August 14, 2014 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't possibly imagine how the remaining instructors could allow a clunky K step with its corresponding chance for UK to smash you in the face!!!
The tight J step was the method always taught by the dearly departed teachers there (AND IT WAS TAUGHT TO THE CURRENT SET OF INSTRUCTORS THERE!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home