Friday, October 24, 2014

Tonight Was Test Night

We started off with a class.  Bob taught.  Had us doing some basic stuff but it was excellent to focus on some of the points he was making.  Also, my knees were a little stiff when I first arrived.  That first class warmed everything up.

One of the techniques was a ryotetori kaitenage.  This version was a little different than the one I'm used to.  Usually I move both hands up in a circle to get kaitenage.  In this version, you do the technique with one hand and the other is free to grab the head early.

We had a ten minute break and then we started the testing.  One guy begged off because his knees were in bad shape.  A second guy delayed because he felt he wasn't ready.  That left myself and Ryan.  Ryan was called first to do his 3rd kyu test.  I hadn't seen him in a long while.  His aikido is noticeably improved from when I saw him last.  He was fine for his rank back then too.  He had a terrific test.  He's a strong guy though and still tends to muscle his way through techniques.  He was wiping the floor with his uke.  Chris gave very strong attacks and Ryan responded by plowing him into the mat every time.  Very fun test to watch.

It was a good test for sure.  As for me...

I had a different Chris as my uke.  I was a little nervous about having Chris take ukemi for this test but had did fine.  I owe him a big thanks for doing the test with me.  The test itself was a blur.  I really didn't plan exactly what I was going to show.  Instead, I focused on some possibilities, and concerned myself with remembering different entries.  Different entry will present different opportunities for techniques.

The test is over and I couldn't even begin to tell you what I did for techniques.  I just reacted to what was given.  Especially the koshinage and tanto techniques. Chris and I had no agreement as to how I
was to be attacked.  He did whatever and I just reacted.  I tried to get him to do a moretetori attack but I got an ushiro attack instead so I just went with it and did the koshinage that fit for it.

So my test was nothing planned.  It was just me reacting.  On the whole I think the test was good but I had a few sloppy spots I didn't like.  Also there were times I repeated a technique simply because I think I forgot I had done that one.  The longer they let me go the more I did though.

Then we did the freestyle portion.  Ryan did lots of varied attacks.  He did well.  Especially since he didn't realize he was even going to do a freestyle.  It normally isn't on the test.  Shodokan often does a freestyle for 3rd kyu even if it's not required by USAF.

My freestyle was generally good.  Kept people off of me.  There was one moment where I let someone get behind me so I would get a chance to deal with two at once.  The second guy backed off when he shouldn't have so I shrugged the guy off my shoulders and moved in to throw the second guy.  The third guy was behind the second.  I was often trying to line people up and dump one guy into the next.

The test itself I was relaxed for.  The freestyle actually had me mouth breathing a little bit.  I wasn't totally winded but I was breathing harder than normal.  Really only noticed it when they called time and I sat down.  I wasn't sucking wind or anything.  Just breathing heavy.

Had a great time tonight.  Pass or fail I had a great experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home