Tuesday, April 07, 2015

You Just Made That Up Didn't You??

I went to NSA Monday night.  Matt taught.  We focused a bit on doing wobble rolls for ukemi.  Trying to bring Jeff along.  It's always good to practice too.

We did some unrecognizable techniques.  One I swear Matt just made up.  That doesn't mean it wasn't effective, or fun..... it just seemed like something he made up.

Uke does a tsuki.  Nage scoots back to the open side at a 45 degree angle but not too far.  Assume uke is striking with the right hand for my description.  You use your left hand to come down from the shoulder and under the arm.  You can actually lock the shoulder that way.  As you are doing this the right hand is on the wrist/hand of uke.  Both hands move down.  You are drawing uke a bit over his toes and moving down at the same time.  the left arm then not only locks up the shoulder but provides some back pressure.  Uke is almost leaning on nage at this point.  Then nage will put his left knee down while bringing both hands down.  Matt does it in what I call his ole' finish.  Uke just goes right by.  There is actually a hip bump with your free hand if you want it.

Now in a self defense situation I wonder about the wisdom of going to the open side like that.  If anything on the throw goes wrong you are toast.  You're open to attack from the other hand, your crotch is exposed, you're down on one knee....etc.

That all being said.  It's a very fun throw with interesting aiki principles.  Toward the end there I was starting to get some of it right.

I still have feather falling ukemi stuck in my brain.  It's been a while that I've worked on it.  I saw a video tonight that really explained it well.  I may give it a shot after class some time.

2 Comments:

At April 08, 2015 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The technique was Uki Otoshi an Aikido and Judo standard.

The back pressure up into the shoulder made it a little different. I think study of the subtle tension and release aiki principle will open doors.

 
At April 08, 2015 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UKI OTOSHI = FLOATING DROP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home