Thursday, May 21, 2015

Missed Monday But Went Wednesday Night

I missed going to class Monday night but somehow made it to Wednesday night.  I would have loved to do a double and go to an early class as well but that's impossible.  So I went to the later class at North Shore Aikikai.

They have a new student starting up recently.  He has a background in some other hard arts and seems to be picking stuff up very fast.  Very fun to work with.

I tried a couple of feather falls after class and didn't manage to repeat the 2 soft ones that I did last class.  Don't get me wrong.... the falls aren't loud or huge impact.  But the two I did before were whisper quiet with no impact whatsoever.  I'd like to repeat those.

During class we did some nikkyo, kotagaeshi, and kokyunage.  The pins at this dojo are absolutely killer.  Matt really makes sure that everyone knows how to pin well.

I worked with Joe for nikkyo.  Joe's nikkyo was very good.  I had a realization come to the foreground while working with him.  If someone doesn't do nikkyo correctly I can use my whole body to absorb it somehow.   One of the things I often see is that when someone is doing nikkyo on me and it's not working, they tend to keep doing whatever they are doing and try just pushing harder.  Most often, it's not about doing it harder.  It's about the technique.  Some times uke's elbow is too high or too low.  Some times it may not work because of the distance between uke and nage.  How the nikkyo hand is gripped.  Whether nage is supporting uke's wrist.  It's about the technique needing adjustment.  It's not about pushing harder.

3 Comments:

At May 21, 2015 9:23 AM, Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

Absolutely. If you don't have uke's structure compromised adding additional force is just going to get you in trouble.

 
At May 21, 2015 9:41 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Well... I'm always looking at technique but I've seen in many classes people try to solve a problem by pushing harder.... I never really consciously thought about it before but they aren't practicing as well as they could be. You need to stop and think about WHY something isn't working.

 
At May 23, 2015 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same can be said of an entire technique. we can correct a technique or we can change to a different one that will work. in both cases we need to be able to step back which can be easier said than done. sometimes our attachment to an idea creates resistance. its a mind trap. hopefully with practice we get better and quicker at letting go and making the correct adjustments. just goes to show that if we can get out of our own way we are usually way
better off. rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home