Friday, June 12, 2015

Another Potential Student

Seems like new aikido students are coming out of the woodwork.  Someone came to watch a class tonight.  She was young.  However, this 16 year old showed incredible patience and watched an entire class.  Most people only stay for about 10 minutes or so.

After she asked a few questions about what she might be learning in the beginning.  I could see her sticking with it.

Mr. Mulligan taught tonight.  He had us do a variation of kaitenage, some shihonage, kottagaeshi, and kokyunage.  The kokyu nage was escaping me until he told me to lower my center(aka bend your knees).  I instantly was able to do it properly.

An old face appeared.  This guy Peter.  He shows up every few years, practices for a while and then disappears again.  He's been doing this longer than I've been around.  I must have seen him maybe 3 different spurts of aikido in the past 10 years.  He's back in class.  He really needs to breathe better in class.  He holds his breath a lot during techniques.  He was getting gassed.  To be fair to him it was a busy class on a hot night but I had no problem keeping up.  If he started breathing better he'd likely be less tired.

Chris also was running out of breath at times.  He looks over at me and says, "You're not even breathing hard".  He uses too much muscle.  He's an excellent partner though.  We were giving each other real feedback during class.  If I didn't get something right, he'd tell me.  Although usually, I can tell when something isn't working.  I may or may not understand what to do about it.  So I try different things until the teacher comes over to fix me.

Great class night.  Hope the new girl starts up.  It's good to have younger folks picking up aikido.  starting at that age, she could be amazing.



1 Comments:

At June 15, 2015 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bending ones Knees? Ridiculous!! Who ever heard of such a thing. Next thing you know someone will tell you to have straight back and good posture. It's Blasphemy I say!!! Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home