Monday, July 13, 2015

Toe is Still Holding Up

No real problems after practice Monday night so I taped myself up again and went Friday night.

There were a good number of students.  I think 9 of us showed up.  It being a hot day, Mr. Mulligan wanted to keep things light.  Probably good for me but I was dying to get some throws in.

When I shoed up, everyone was just standing around.  We attempted to prod the senior student to warm us up but he wasn't into it.  So, I warmed everyone up.  Nothing special, just got everyone stretched out and moving.

Friday nights class was a mixed bag for me.  Most of it were soft exercises such as tai no henko.  This is an exercise I generally don't like.  Most of the time it is shown in such a way that you strip uke.  As a good uke you're supposed to follow and try to keep good contact.  I did several with no muscle, then some pulling, and others with no muscle but keeping a live arm such that it may have appeared to someone that I was using muscle.  Not my favorite exercise.

We did do one thing that I got a kick out of.  One of the techniques Mr. Mulligan did was extremely close to something we did Monday night at North Shore Aikikai.  On Monday night there was this technique that starts off with a cross hand grip.  You move in front of uke's open side and bring the hand down in a curve down to the floor.  Uke is pulled over his toes and has to roll.

Mr. Mulligan's version was a same side grip.  You move to the open side again but then tenkan and bring the forward leg back.  This effectively is the same thing.  There is a difference.  The version I did at NSA draws uke directly, and evenly over both feet.  The spot on the floor the hand goes is between them.  With Mr. Mulligan's version, uke's weight isn't evenly distributed.  It is at first put on uke's forward foot.  Usually you can as uke take up some of that force by using your hips and knees and so forth.  However, when the tenkan is done to the open side.  Uke's hand ends up being placed in the same position, forward and between his feet.  The difference though is that there is more of a circular feel to it.  Both versions are very cool.  I could play with just those two for quite a while.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home