Saturday, August 08, 2015

Hot Class

I'm glad I got there a little early.  As soon as I got into the dojo I went to the mat area and opened up all the windows and door.  The dojo was about 10 degrees warmer than the outside.  I got one of our bigger fans going.  By the time class ended the temperature dropped a bit.  In any event, our last space was much, much hotter.  Like a lot of dojos, the space was a cinderblock box with no windows so anything else always seemed comfortable to me.

Last night Mr. Mulligan taught.  Nice class, we did some exercises.  At the end we were doing an interesting iriminage.  The person I was working with goes to Serge's Monday night class and I see his fingerprints all over him.  When taking uke around my partner liked to try to be very physical.  He'd trap the hand and push down hard on the neck.  A lot of dojos trap the hand.  I've seen that before.  I don't think it's necessary.  If I have uke's balance, I shouldn't have to physically pull someone around.  I also felt as though the trapped hand was something I could fight against.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home