Monday, September 21, 2015

Whoa..... That's My Arm

Sunday class was four of us.  Tony and I and the two beginners.  I'm continually amazed at how fast they can pick certain things up.  If they seem to be improving I pretty much leave them alone.  Peter was on top of them for corrections anyway.

The biggest concerns I had as usual were safety.  David is quite good at remembering stuff.  The scary thing is he's doing Shihonage very much like I did it when I first started out.  He does it very quickly.  I think we were told early on to do it that way for some reason.  The problem is.... on one side, David takes the shihonage way out wide.  Made me nervous as hell.  So I showed him the difference between doing a close shihonage and one where the arm is stretched out.  I wanted to make sure he knew which one he was doing and what the effect on uke is.  If he pulled someone else out as far as he pulled my arm, some people could get hurt.  I have fairly loose shoulders so I was ok but not everyone is built like that.

The other thing I commented on had to do with how Pete was taking ukemi.  I wanted him to do a proper roll so he doesn't break a wrist.

After class he asked me to work with him some on a couple things.

One technique that Pete started doing real well had me really moving for ukemi.  It was excellent.  Very simple, tsuki, deflect punch, grab sleeve(or stay sticky) pivot and throw.  he started doing the technique really well.  Had my balance the whole time.

As for ukemi, we practiced some standard forward rolls.  Actually he has a nice forward minimalist roll.  He starts the roll on the upper arm/shoulder and tucks into a ball.  He complained that he sometimes feels as though there is too much energy for him to dissipate.  I told him that the tiny roll he is doing is excellent but he needs to learn also how to take a longer roll.  It gives you more time to make adjustments and can absorb energy better.  By the end he had managed a few rolls where he started from his fingertips and rolled to his opposite hip.  So he now knows what it's supposed to feel like.  He has a tendency to try and throw his rolling arm sideways which means a barrel roll for most people.  Somehow he keeps it under control.  Part of my working with him was to focus straight ahead.  Took a page from Jim's forward rolling lesson.  I also passed along an old Matt suggestion I had gotten and had him pushing off his back foot to help get some momentum going.
He still isn't coming up wit live toes very often but I already gave him enough to think about for rolling.  We'll get the live toes down in another week or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home