Monday, October 05, 2015

Real Kaitenage

Had a great class Sunday morning.  One of the beginners didn't show up but the other did.  Always nice to have someone new to work with.  We mixed partners up a bit like we usually do.

At one point I had Chris as a partner and I refused to move for his almost kaitenage that he likes to do.  Chris is far from a beginner so I have no qualms about not moving for him sometimes.  Often he'd almost throw at the end.

Then somewhere he started trying to throw me but was pushing with the neck hand to do it.  That was better but still not what it should be.  So on my turn I told him that I wanted him to keep the other hand extended and step through.  That I want to feel the throw from that big lever looking thing that is my arm.  Finally, he actually threw me a couple times.  They felt great.  I hope we do that technique again soon so he doesn't revert.  He has many years of muscle memory to fight against.  He expressed  concern that he could hurt me.  I told him I can bail any time by taking the roll.  That he shouldn't worry about it.

His sankyo wasn't there either.  Worse still at one point before getting the sankyo, I'm standing there totally on balance and totally flat footed.  The only good thing about it is that I started looking at my own technique to see if I was doing that.  I don't think I was.  In fact, Chris commented that he was afraid that I wasn't letting go of the control early enough for his ukemi.  Then after a while, he got more comfortable with it and was fine.

I wonder if he was injured badly a long time ago or something.

After class I was trying to show the beginner a better sankyo by adjusting his hold on me.  Working with him is tough.  He's real quiet and I'm not sure if he'll tell you if he's uncomfortable.  So I'm still a little on the cautious side when I do certain things to him.  Even when he taps, you can't hear it.  It's just a light tapping on the mat.  He's real flexible too so to get a good control on him nice and tight you'd have to really crank it.  But.... I don't feel comfortable cranking this kid yet.

We did one bit of kaeshi waza also.

1 Comments:

At October 15, 2015 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might try standing up and smacking him in the face or drag him down to the mat by tying up his leg and get on his back. A few choice smacks or chokes should amp up his intention to finish the technique. Sorry old chap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home