Thursday, December 10, 2015

Giant Rats

Last Monday I went to a class at NSA.  They had another new beginner coming through.  She is very flexible and moves naturally.  Hard to stick her in a shihonage as she naturally moves to get out of it.  Even more so than most beginners.  Usually you can solve it by going lower, but no matter how low you went it didn't matter.  She was anticipating the movement.  If you twisted her up a bit she'd totally go with her hip and turn into it.  Moving her feet to adjust and turning out of it.

The only way I could get it on her without hurting her was to do it with a little more distance.  Not the usual way you'd want to do this for most people.  Since you are essentially turning a little in front of uke leaving yourself open.

I got the distinct impression that she had done a martial art before but I couldn't figure out which one.  Sometimes you can tell what art by what they are good at and how stiff they are when they do techniques.  So, I asked a fellow student if he knew.

She said he thought she had a background in Capybara.  I'm like....  those big rats I use to see at the Stone Zoo??   That's a martial art?  We both laughed at that one.  Needless to say, he meant Capoeira.  I've heard of it but never actually saw it so I didn't know what it was about.  It surprised the heck out of me.  It's VERY unusual.  Lots of crazy kicks.  Looks very acrobatic.

Worth looking up.

2 Comments:

At December 10, 2015 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right. Very flexible and good balance low center. I have yet to try shiho on her but probably a very vertical circle will work on her ala Jim Decoursey. Jacking her up a bit with a little wrist lock should keep her on her toes and very vertical. But that would be a bit less nice. I had a heck of a time with tenshi nage. Until I locked her tall with ich age first and kept her hips and knees from bending. Very fun. New rules to learn. Good spirit. Rob

 
At December 14, 2015 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No need for wrist lock... BIG kasushi to the front to really pull 'em off balance, then tenkan low and quick. No time for them to respond because they're trying to regain balance from that forward pull.
J.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home