Monday, January 25, 2016

Yay Seminar

Went to a seminar this weekend at Framingham Aikikai.  Had lots of fun.

Did I mention that I'm a night owl and mornings are not my friend?  Well first attack and I am doing shomenuchi to the shihan who was throwing the line.  What do I do?  Blank out and attack her on the wrong side.  Luckily she just adjusted as we all would and managed to pull the technique off with no hitch.  I managed to apologize to her in line.  She said was kind and said it was good practice for her. Well.... at least she may remember me at the next seminar.

Now at the end of the seminar there was this longish flowy technique.  At first I thought I had never seen it before.  The more I thought about it, I'm convinced that Matt demonstrated this once about a year ago.  Back when he did it I was totally confused.  I don't think we practiced it that day, he merely showed it.  During the seminar.lots of people were having trouble with it.  For whatever reason I was able to do the technique with no problem.

Now the same instructor I screwed up with at the beginning saw that and was surprised and asked if I had done this before(had a turn in line to try it).  I said no and she thought I did a nice job with it.

So.... assuming she wasn't just being encouraging.... I must have confused the heck out of her.  First she sees me attack her on the wrong side and later do a more complex technique with no problem.

Lots of interesting moments during the seminar.  Someone suggested I take a tighter ukemi for one particular technique.  He was suggesting this because if someone threw harder you would need to do something tighter and faster.  This was indeed true.  Rather than explain to him that I would automatically do something tighter to adapt, I just said thank you to him.  Do some advanced people actually plan their ukemi before they take it?  For the most part after the throw is done I don't give it a lot of thought.  I just react to what is given.  I've had to take some weird ukemi in the past.  I think of ukemi as an organic, on-the-fly thing.

Got to work with lots of people with varying degrees of skill.  There was one guy there who clearly was a beginner.  His ukemi wasn't all there yet.  He could roll but not amazingly well.  I winced as I saw someone throw him into a breakfall position.  It didn't look comfortable.  To his credit, he got right back in line and kept going.

Now that I think of it, I was really impressed with someone else's ukemi.  She was a beginner.  She had trouble doing the techniques but her ukemi was awesome.

As for techniques....  I went to six hours of classes and a lot of it fell out of my head.  Some of it was standard stuff.... moretetori, nikkyo, iriminage, kotagaeshi.  There were a few otoshi in there.  Soeaking of which.  All my instructors tell me that for taiotoshi when you go to one knee the other foot has live live toes and the position has to be correct to protect the knee.  Well, sure enough a beginner stepped on that calf with her full body weight.  Hurt my toes some but essentially took no damage.

A couple of Shodokan people went to this seminar as well.  Joanna really did well at the seminar.  I actually didn't see her at all but maybe once the whole time but she got called up to help with a demo at one point.  She was funny though because she knew absolutely no one.  She's talking with someone and after I tell her... or that's the chief instructor of that dojo.... someone else tells her...  that's the chief instructor for this dojo.  etc...  She has to get out more.

Went home to take a hot shower.  Next day I feel fine.  A little tired and some muscles have worked. Getting up from the mat that many times burned my leg muscles up some.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home