Monday, February 15, 2016

Missed Some Classes

A combination of bad weather and family stuff narrowed my 3/week classes down this past month.  I think I'm back in the swing of things.  Even yesterday, despite the fact that it was -11 Fahrenheit, there was a class.  I'm planning on going tonight.

Sunday's class was interesting.  We were doing different techniques.  Then Peter has us doing a breakfall out of Shihonage.  He starts people out with hanmi handache so the fall is from a lower height.  I had Pete (the newer guy) as a partner.  He just wasn't comfortable with the fall.  He kept going around instead of up and over.  Because of the barrel roll like fall he was doing, he hit the floor faster but not more comfortably.

I tried to give him some suggestions, he nodded his head but in the end he changed nothing about his fall.  I asked him about it and he said he hurt his kidneys on a bad fall recently so now he was nervous.

I'm not sure that shihonage is the best technique to teach breakfalls.  I always thought kotagaeshi was a little easier for beginners.

Soon after that, Pete starts resisting techniques.  Not sure if he was doing that to prove something to himself or me after his inability to fall well.  The first time he resisted, I just let him go and backed up.  The second time, Peter stopped us before it got to far(at this point I was having fun with it).  The Pete got the speech about letting nage practice the technique.  This is good for his practice but for mine..... some resistance isn't a bad thing on a basic technique.  I know if I wanted to be mean and rip his shoulder some he couldn't stop me but I certainly would never do that.  Also, I want to be able to do a technique without hurting someone even if they are struggling with me.  I may never be good enough to do that.  Afterwards I thought about it and wondered if there was a kazushi issue.  I wasn't taking his balance when I started the technique maybe.

Still.... when you know what's coming it's easier to fight it.  So maybe it's unrealistic to think I can do something without hurting someone in that instance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home