Thursday, May 12, 2016

WWJD

Over at North Shore Aikikai, they are going to have a test soon.  I was able to help Joe out by being his partner.  Good practice for me to do these as I haven't seen some of these techniques in a while.  He'll be taking his 2nd kyu test.  I still don't feel like my endurance is back although it's better.

It's been good that we did some freestyle after class.   Did a little better than last week.  Tried to focus on entering more.

Matt and Rob were showing me a version of shihonage I typically don't like(reminds me of serge's version).  It is true that with this shihonage you are totally safe from getting hit.  For this version nage puts his arm under uke's and they have contact with uke and turn like a gear also causing uke to turn.  What I don't like about it is that this version of shihonage is frightening.  Matt says that the initial turning of the arm "puts them on notice".  I think that this isn't notice.... it's more like using an air horn an inch from their ear.  The technique is so tight at this point that you might get someone who tries to fight it.  Of course they won't be able to and they will just hurt themselves.  We can feel good that we can have control but it's cost is possible damage to a struggling uke.

So much of what I like to do is to try and get kazushi without uke realizing what's going on.  Much of my training at NSA involves the thought that uke is taken off balance but doesn't feel like he can push against anything and therefore doesn't try.  It's possible that getting this feeling is difficult or impossible for shihonage.  I don't know.

During the practice of this I turned to Rob and asked.... What Would Jimmy Do?  His shihonage doesn't turn uke by twisting him up.  He has your wrist and drives it forward in a circle.  Works great on people with tight shoulders.  Certainly less alarming.

Keeping in mind I am currently doing something different that often times has an opening big enough that uke can hit me.  Something to work on.  I either have to adjust my version by taking uke's balance more or pick a different version.


3 Comments:

At May 13, 2016 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another tool to add to your tool box. I am comforted knowing there are tools at hand I can count on. Depending on the job priority, you pick the tool.

Understanding the leverage a tool provides allows you to see the potential use of other tools.

"the instructor teaches only one small aspect of the art. its versatile applications must be discovered by each student through incessant practice and training."

 
At May 13, 2016 1:40 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Hey, always willing to try something different. I'll pretty much always try to do things the way the instructor is showing it. Even if it isn't a favorite variant.

The fact remains though that I already know how to rip someone's shoulder out and I doubt that you could do this shihonage variant in a 'normal' situation and not hurt the other guy badly.

As for recognizing benefits from aspects of this. It's possible but I doubt it. What makes this work is that uke feels 100% clamped down. You either stand there and hope nage doesn't hurt you, or struggle and get yourself hurt. I think the more likely response off the mat is that someone would struggle.

The only application I could imagine is if someone had a knife and wasn't easy to deal with. Using this method, you'd keep yourself safe and the attacker would likely get hurt... but hey... he brought the knife.


 
At May 13, 2016 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you already know what JD would do :)
Just keep doing it that way only lower and faster and you'll be fine.

JD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home