Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Ugh..... Once again Learning That I Still Know Nothing

The past few classes I've seen some basic techniques such as ikkyo, sumiotoshi and so forth.  Stuff I've done a million times.  But in each class I am still working on something with these techniques.  In one class I left thinking that I could have just done ikkyo for most of the class and gotten something out of it.

A few of us were thinking of taking our shodan test this fall/winter.  It's really weird.  On any given day I feel as though I should have tested for this a while ago and yet on other days I feel like I still don't know anything.  I'm taking this as a good sign that I haven't given up learning.  That I'm still thinking of what I'm doing in class.

Tonight I didn't even go to a class and watched a video that totally blew my mind on taking ukemi.  The Shihan in the video suggests that for breakfalls out of koshinage, you should be loose and just go over(even roll out).  Once when I was still new, someone did koshinage to me and I rolled out of it. just like he demoed it.  Later I was taught to be stiff like a board and go over like a wood plank and for the most part I've been doing that ever since.  I'm quite comfortable going over that way and confident in not getting hurt but learning a new way is always a good thing.

Now, I've got to try doing on purpose what I once did by accident as a beginner.  I'd like to try out the softer ukemi.

I didn't even go to class and I once again realized that I don't know anything.

1 Comments:

At June 30, 2016 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have practiced sincerely for ten plus years and still question how the parts go together. You know there are no hard fast answers and that some grow complacent and stop asking. Take your test. As a shodan you might be able to raise a few questions for the others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home