Tuesday, August 09, 2016

More Deflections and Other Stuff

We've been on a roll lately at NSA.  We've done the deflections class a couple times.  I could do that one every day for a couple months and still work on stuff.

This past Monday we did a little more than just that.  The thought was that Rob was showing structured vs unstructured approaches to techniques.  Structured techniques as I understand it create an earlier connection/commitment by nage with uke.

An example would be for say udekiminage.  A structured version of the technique would be that you engage uke's arm/elbow early.  An unstructured version may be that you guide uke's arm to the place you want it and then engage a connection after you've placed uke in a good place.

Where is that good place?  You sort of have to feel the balance being lost by uke.  I had mixed success at this.  It will take some time doing this before I really get it I think.  I understand the concept and can apply it but not consistently enough.

So.... where do they come up with this stuff??

4 Comments:

At August 10, 2016 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a long time I was sure "Give me a place to stand and a lever and I will move the whole world "

I started placing less stock in old Archimedes, after years of pushing and pulling on things and wondering why they felt the way they did. Why buildings stand up by Mario Salvadori and Why buildings fall down by Matthys Levy are good reads on strong solid connections.

Study with Sekiya Sensei and Wally Jay made the solid foundation that I relied on get kinda soft and spongy for a while.

I realized things aren't always firmly connected, there are pliable - sinewy connections that when found can create surprising results.
For a better understanding watch any Tensegrity video. Tom Myers has a few good ones https://youtu.be/rOQw-GR8A4or

Yoshi Shibata has been a recent inspiration. A number of us have enjoyed his annual seminars.
He will be at Portsmouth Aikido this weekend. If you can't make it check him out on You Tube.



 
At August 11, 2016 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH PLEASE tell me you're not sucked into this sh.t about gathering energy from "Dead Stars" and how it will help your Aikido. O Sensei showed how techniques worked and passed that knowledge onto us. KI hocus-pocus be damned, the tensegrity or proper alignment of muscles/skeleton is all you need. Don't be sucked into the arm-waving, thinking that IT will help when some bozo is swinging his arm at you.
Don't search for Magic. Trust in Aikido TECHNIQUES as passed down by O Sensei.

Jim.

 
At August 12, 2016 7:13 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Who said anything about arm waving?

The latest practice is merely exercise in kazushi. I think it's better practice to find ways to do techniques without using strength. Doing a technique with strength is easy but won't work if the technique is flawed and someone is stronger than you.

As for ki hocus pocus. When I practice I get very focused on what's going on, I forget about anything else, and I seem to have more energy. I also move with ease even if a joint was bothering me. Now, that can just be me warming up the body, or you can call it ki flow. Either way I like the effect.

I don't believe that you can make people fall down by waving your arms in the air. Well.... You can if they are well trained to fall down when you wave your arms.

 
At September 16, 2016 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been snoozin'... The 'arm waving' is found in the tensegrity info.
BUT, strict original Aikido techniques PLUS this tensegrity stuff, BOTH build your bag of "tricks". By knowing both ways, you'll be able to blindly reach into that bag when you NEED something, and pull out what you need for that particular circumstance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home