Friday, January 27, 2017

Shodan Test

Ok... so it's been a long time and I finally took a black belt test tonight.  It's interesting because it didn't feel like a marvelous test.  It felt ok with some nice moments.  But I actually recorded it and got a look at it later.  Never really watched myself practice before.  Looked better than I thought.

I did nothing I wanted to.  That's the usual for a test, right?

I had nice posture and was very relaxed throughout the whole test.  In fact, I was so relaxed that I wasn't sucking wind like I expected to be doing.

Overall the test really wasn't that bad.  My biggest problem was that one of the instructors called for a henka waza I wasn't expecting.  In every other test we start from ikkyo or kotagaeshi.  And... not that I had a lot of prep time for this, I made sure I practiced those.  So when they called out for a shihonage into iriminage, I brain farted a couple times and started my ikkyo.  Then I corrected it and did a few.

Would definitely have liked to do some otoshi but I didn't think my uke was up for it,  He did well enough.  Getting tossed around that many times in a row is hard.  His ukemi isn't the most natural for him so he takes more damage every throw.  I kept things simple.  Which was fine.

There was one throw that was going to bring my uke into the kamiza(we have a skinny mat) so I altered the ending of it.  Mr. Mulligan knew exactly what I was doing and why.  I saw and heard him.

Chris also tested for shodan tonight.  His test looked good.  he did a lot of hard throws(hard on uke) but Dave could handle the abuse no problem.  Some of the techniques crossed with mine and it was interesting to see the differences in our style.

Glad I got it done with.  With any luck I'll get news that I passed and I can forget about testing for a while and get back to practice.


5 Comments:

At January 27, 2017 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time!!!! A well deserved congratulations regardless of the outcome. Now with a bit of luck you can finally learn ikkyo!!! Rob

 
At January 28, 2017 9:51 AM, Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

Congrats on surviving the shodan test. I hope you get to join the ranks of the black belted shortly!

 
At January 28, 2017 11:54 AM, Blogger -Matt said...

Congratulations - a test long over due.
The first step on an old familiar path.

Looking forward to practice.

-Matt

 
At January 29, 2017 7:52 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Rob.... learn ikkyo.... lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

 
At January 30, 2017 11:18 AM, Anonymous Rob said...

Ok maybe we cAn just work on ick

 

Post a Comment

<< Home