Friday, February 10, 2017

Quiet Friday Night

Most of the tests are over so people disappear.  Reminds me of all the folks that hit the gym for the first 6 weeks of the year.  Then.... they disappear.

It was just Chris and I to start with the other Chris showing up a bit later.  Chris likes to examine the practical side.  If there isn't an atemi in the technique he's not happy.  Not that I'm against atemi, but it should be used to add to the technique in my mind, not replace it.

We started out with the jo.  I noticed from last week that Chris didn't quite have all of the 31 jo kata down.  So I led him through it, section by section.  If he could watch you while he did it he could keep up.  He just didn't know all of it from the top of his head yet.  We did a bunch of this in a row to help him cement it in some.  If he keeps it up he'll remember the whole thing soon I'm sure.

So at one point he asked me to show him something we could practice.  I decide to do something fun that was shown at a seminar( someone from NY was in town).  He refused to do it and judged it immediately as unusable.  Totally closed minded.  One thing I've learned is to always keep an open mind,  A teacher or fellow student may show me something.  Even if I suspect a technique isn't my style or not useful or flawed in some way I'll always try it out.  See what I can get out of it.  Chris from moment one refused to even try it.  Wow.

In my mind there is a lot of this kind of thinking in the dojo at the moment.  Everyone watches MMA and is worried about the practicality of everything all the time.  Maybe this technique isn't something I would do on the street.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't practice it.

Later on the other Chris wanted to try a nikkyo of some sort.  It's a weird way of applying nikkyo but it does work.  The first Chris was willing to try this out.  Then on me he was attempting a normal nikkyo (with the z in the arm).  Now... if you do it right I'm forced to tap out.  He wasn't even close.  I wanted to tell him what adjustments he could to make it work but he didn't have any interest in learning it.

Then he says you can't do nikkyo from a certain position because someone can straight/stiff arm you.  I know there a few ways to get uke to loosen up a stiff arm.  I show him one.  Then I tell him he shouldn't care about whether someone has a totally stiff arm because you can still do that same nikkyo.  He didn't believe me so I had him present me with a nice stiff arm.... then nikkyo'd him.

He's learned technically how to do nikkyo but doesn't understand what makes it work.  There is difference.

Then after class broke up I stayed on the mat to work on my ukemi some.  There is a feather fall I've been wanting to learn better.  At one point I could do it but I was inconsistent.  Still need to work on it.
Here is one example....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_FcUHI7ER4




3 Comments:

At February 12, 2017 4:11 PM, Anonymous Rob said...

Always something to be learned. If they want effective techniques so much give them a brochure on Krav Magda, The system used by the israeli army

 
At February 12, 2017 5:56 PM, Anonymous Rob said...

Always something to be learned. If they want effective techniques so much give them a brochure on Krav Magda, The system used by the israeli army

 
At February 12, 2017 9:31 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

I was thinking he'd be happier with Arnis. They have a lot of very direct movements. What he is interested in learning and teaching is nothing like what Sekiya Sensei used to teach(according to the stories I've heard). I heard he was always shooting for soft, technical aikido. Hate to see the dojo head in this other direction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home