Wednesday, February 22, 2017

RRRRrrrrrriiiiiipppppp

It's unusual for me to be free Wednesday night but I made an effort and was able to get to class tonight.  Joanna was teaching.  Was also curious about her teaching.

Started out with a few line techniques to warm up.  Then moved on to 3rd kyu techniques to help Richard with his next test.  Richard forgets a lot of stuff, I'm not sure if he'll ever actually be ready to test for 3rd kyu.  No knock on the guy.  He just isn't physically capable of remembering stuff well and knows it.  I'll help him as much as possible and I have no idea if he was thinking of testing but he's no where near ready (and may never be).  Nothing wrong with that though.  He should keep showing up and working out.

Chris had his brand new hakama on tonight.  Looks great on him.  Although he said it felt odd, he didn't trip over it once.  He did quite well with it.

Speaking of clothing.  At the end of class we got to do some awesome taiotoshi.  I purposely grabbed Dave and we threw the hell out of each other.  On one of the throws though, I hear this... rriiipp noise.  I had managed to rip the sleeve of his gi.  I felt kind of bad.  But the gi was very old.  They wear out.  So, not wanting to rip it further I modified the throw on that side after that to do an anti-otoshi, where you step in, pivot and put the "wrong" knee up as you throw.  It's easier on the arm and I was grabbing a little differently for that version.

After that was done, we did a little 31 jo kata.  Looked like everyone needed the practice.  I noticed Joanna doing one of the strikes differently than I do it.  I'll have to look it up somewhere to verify if it's a yokomen or shomen strike.

Great class!

2 Comments:

At February 23, 2017 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although the angle of attack is steep, all cuts in the 31 kata are yokomen.

 
At February 23, 2017 6:51 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home