Saturday, March 04, 2017

Another Quiet Friday

For a moment I thought I was going to be the only person showing.... eventually, a couple more people floated in.

Bob was teaching tonight.  He saw my horrible attempt at tying up my hakama and showed me what he does.  At first I was mildly annoyed but I got over it and after a while I realized he was just trying to help me.  I didn't want to undo the thing and start over.  But I did, and it was worth it.

I appreciate anyone trying to help.  I'm pretty sure I can replicate what he showed me however, there is a little knot at the end I'm not sure about.

We did versions of shihonage, wakagatami, udekiminage.  They focused on breaking joints.

The shihonage was the one where you use your arm to lever up uke's arm by getting underneath it.

None of these variations are my style but nothing wrong with practicing them once in a while.  They seemed to fit in well with many of the other students viewpoints on aikido.

There was one thing about the wakagatame..... when one of the other students did it, I could feel this huge hole in his technique.  His technique had nice timing and flowed awesome but never quite got the elbow.  I was taken off balance and then put back on balance as he started for the wakagatame  As a result, I really feel like I could've just stood up.  I didn't in this case, though as he was working on other aspects of the technique.  But... what that did was make me more aware of what I was doing.  I tried to make sure I didn't have the same hole.

Then... when he went to do the udekiminage he was doing a different variation than the one being shown.  He was doing the one where you throw by applying force to the shoulder and not the elbow.  When Bob suggested he try it the other way, he attempted to get the elbow and then totally stopped again.  Not sure if he stopped because he gave up trying or he just couldn't do it.  In any event, the couple times he did get it on the elbow he didn't apply any pressure whatsoever.

I enjoy working with the guy on the mat but now that I think about it, he was bailing on the wakagatame.  We'd start with an ikkyo like beginning.  Rather than moving with nage a bit he would just collapse on the floor.  Made it hard/impossible to do the rest of the technique.  Now,, if that happened in a real situation you would just say great I'm done.  But in class we are trying to practice a given technique.  It would be nice to be able to get to it.


2 Comments:

At March 06, 2017 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for any individual to take his aikido to a deep level, there has to be a deep foundation. endless repetition of incorrect principles will not ever result in correct principle. it simply imprints bad habits.

 
At March 07, 2017 12:46 AM, Blogger Poxbox said...

For sure. That being said, in my mind there is value in a less correct repetition for people trying to learn something. They can improve it incrementally. However, on this night my partner is a very experienced aikidoka. He just tends to leave out elements of certain techniques on a consistent basis. It's too bad really as he does lots of things well. I think for the most part he is one of those people that gave up trying to learn.

Often times I will give more precise feedback to an experienced person. But... he was struggling a bit too much with the simple suggestions given to him by Sensei Bob. If he couldn't do that, there was no use in adding my 2 cents. Also, it's one of those things where I'm not the teacher so it's my job to just be a good partner. Shut up and take ukemi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home