Thursday, June 29, 2017

Yay Ikkyo

Had an awesome class on Monday at North Shore Aikikai.  We worked on an ikkyo variation..... actually it wasn't the ikkyo itself that was interesting.  We were mostly working on the entry for it.  I think I was getting most of it although I still need practice on this.  This is one of those times where it's good to have no muscle memory getting in your way.

The attack was a yokomenuchi strike.  You enter on the open side with a tenkan.  You blend with the incoming strike (right on right or left on left) with your palm down.  Then you draw uke up sliding what was the blending hand down to the wrist as the other hand guides the elbow for the ikkyo.  I'm leaving out a bit of detail here but this is the gist of it.

This was very fun to work on.  Never hurts for me to practice blending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home