Friday, August 04, 2017

Test Night For Chris

Was a pretty hot night in the dojo tonight.  In the 80's.  Yet it didn't seem all that hot.  Which is good.... because Chris did his Nidan test tonight.

Particularly good since I was his partner.  I was seriously concerned that I would be sucking wind but it wasn't bad at all.  We had a decent pace going.  Medium speed.

One of the highlights of the test was for the ryotetori.  Chris was out of position for what he was going for.... actually, I'm not sure he had anything in mind at all.  But he kept things moving and found one of my favorite throws.

I did my best as uke, even took shihonage breakfalls.  I did get a rest while they had Chris do his tachitori(2 attackers) portion.  I sat down for that.  Then after we did the randori with 5 attackers.

Easy for us... except.... at one point I was thrown and someone moved in instead of getting out of the way and we collided just a little.  Banged my pinky toe.  No real damage... just annoying because that toe was finally healing up.  It only affects backrolls on one side.

Anyway..... I'm pretty sure Chris passed his test.  I had fun being his uke.

2 Comments:

At August 05, 2017 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know, Chris is not one to follow through. "When you say I did my best as uke, even took shihonage breakfalls." Did he actually take your balance and throw you with zanshin, or did you just feel compelled to take falls for political purposes?

 
At August 05, 2017 10:13 PM, Blogger Poxbox said...

My job as uke for a test or as part of a demo is different than my job as uke in class.

In class I will give appropriate feedback to my partner when they are ready for it. This may include my just standing there because they didn't finish a throw, or maybe letting them know when they get my balance. Or maybe it may be in the form of some kind of resistance.

During a demo or for a test, it's a different story. I'm just there so nage can do his thing to the best of his ability. It should be obvious to the people judging the test what's going on. Whether he gets my balance or throws with zanshin should be visible regardless of what I'm doing. If the test is solid enough then they pass. A test is not the time for me to start resisting technique. Unless of course, you are a dojo that regularly tests with resistance. We don't.

When I said I did my best, I meant it. I tried very hard to stay with my partner and move with him as he did his technique. He did what he did.

I was taught to support my partner during a test. This means... if he bows to the kamiza or the instructors in the wrong order..... I as his partner follow him and do the same.

So, in a nutshell, I wasn't just falling over for "political purposes", I was doing my job as uke as I understand it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home