Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Wednesday Night

I had the time so I popped in for a Wednesday night class.  For whatever reason it's not a highly attended night.  In fact... I called Joanna to let her know I was coming.... It was just the two of us.  She hadn't practiced in a while.

So... we just did a bunch of random stuff.  No point to any of it... Except....  When I'm on the mat all I think about is the aikido I'm working on.  I don't think about work, home life, the kids, or anything.  So, as a result, when I do aikido it's relaxing.  It's a total reset.
Joanna kept talking as we practiced and her mind was often on the myriad of life events she has to deal with....  work, home improvement... etc.
When you get her working on aikido she would start back in again.  She's not leaving that stuff off the mat.  I tried as much as I could to distract her from her problems.  I had her try out what I knew would be techniques she didn't know.  Sure enough she had to concentrate on them for a bit to do them as they weren't things she did every day.  She stopped talking for those periods.  Invariably, she would show me a technique she wanted us to do and she would drift back.... talking about life issues.

When you get on the mat it's a huge opportunity to leave behind all your problems.  If nothing else, you should keep your mind on what's happening so you can continue to learn.  Or.... focus on your ukemi so you don't get hurt.


2 Comments:

At August 31, 2017 7:18 AM, Blogger Scott Zrubek said...

My first dojo had a sign on the door: "Empty your cup". I try to hold to that philosophy. Some days I succeed better than others.

 
At August 31, 2017 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...


pick up the pace... hard to talk when you're gasping for air :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home